European population is ageing rapidly, but living longer does not necessarily mean living a healthier, more active and independent life. Demographic ageing is a global trend, in Europe, the number of people aged 65+ will rise from 85 million in 2008 to 151 million in 2060 and the number of over 80s will almost triple. While increased longevity is a great achievement, it can also pose a formidable challenge for public budgets - especially in our current economic situation. Population ageing will have a major impact on the Europe's health systems and on public and private spending.
Our project is for the development of social and civic competences of the European citizens.The project will involve a broad number of European citizens of every age and social condition, as well as a broad number of European organisations of Adult Education interested in the theme of memory and of the autobiographical methodologies as educational tool.
The project will create products and activities, as the European Competition, the digital Archive of European Memories and storytelling groups addressed to long-lasting activities.
We aim to contribute, by means of autobiographical and historical methodologies, tools and activities, and the use of web technologies, to the development of social and civic competences of European citizens.
1. Create permanent tools and in particular the European Memories, with a digital archive of stories of European citizens, in different digital languages (text, photo, audio and DVD format).
2. Create adult education activities, through the telling of life stories, for the promotion of social and civic competences, through the consolidation, extension and qualification of a network of institutions, volunteer workers in the field of autobiography, memory, social work and language teaching and translation, for the purposes of interdisciplinary exchange and production and valorization of autobiographies and life stories.
3. To create products and activities of diffusion of European citizens' stories (such as the European Autobiography Festival and the final project publication).
In the project our main aims are
1. To contribute, by means of autobiographical and historical methodologies, tools and activities, and the use of web technologies, to the development of social and civic competences of European citizens.
2. To contribute to preserving memory and encouraging familiarity with the many cultures and traditions that make up Europe;
3. Permitting total involvement of adult learners, the active involvement of older people and the encounter of young and old; allowing the diffusion of cultural issues from the bottom up, also through the diffusion of documents based on life stories and produced by European citizens of every age and social condition and also through the use of new technology.
4. To develop individual potential in lifelong learning by promoting the culture of memory and autobiography as “care of oneself”, lifelong learning and active citizenship.
5. To contribute to the realization of innovative models in adult education activities using autobiographical and historical methods, and the use of web technologies, as a means of development of social and civic competences.
The project takes its cue from the observation in present-day Europe of a series of problematic issues transversally afflicting the European social fabric:
- Increasing social fragmentation with problems relating to an increasingly multicultural society
- Difficulties in relations between the generations, exacerbated by the rapid cultural changes occurring in society
- Problems related to the aging of the European population, with the difficulties encountered – on the part of older people – in finding an active and recognized role within society, a difficulty which is also due to the changes in the family.
- Strong lack of interest in institutions (especially European institutions) on the part of citizens, along with difficulty with various forms of participation in social and political life.
The project proposal is characterized by two levels of innovation:
The process innovation
• To develop a process of putting together the great educational potential and self-formative of the storytelling methods, with
participative methods so that the narration can be characterized by their pedagogical function and social relationship.
The product innovation
• The product innovation is based on the methods and tools adopted, uniting the specificity of the autobiographical methodologies with the utilization of the web and computer technologies and the creation of educational activities involving adults from different European institutions and countries.